Mulethi is also called Yashtimadhu in Ayurveda. It is an important herb used in Indian medicines, home remedies, folk medicines, and Ayurveda. The health benefits of Mulethi include its use in hyperacidity, ulcers, general debility, joint pains, and some other diseases. It is beneficial in these diseases due to its medicinal properties. It is a good anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent. It also acts as an antacid and aphrodisiac. Mulethi (Yashtimadhu) has the following healing properties. Antacid, Anti-ulcerogenic, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-oxidant, Anti-Alzheimer’s, Anti-obesogenic, Anti-adipogenic, Anti-atherogenic, Anticancer, Anti-angiogenic (in cancer or Tumors), Anti-proliferative (in cancer or Tumors), Anti-asthmatic, Antibacterial, Adaptogenic, Analgesic, Anti-arthritic, Antidepressant, Antioxidant, Anti-stress, Antitussive, Aphrodisiac, Demulcent, Expectorant, Immuno-modulator, Mild estrogenic – It might influence estrogen level in women. Mulethi contains Glycyrrhizin, which is sweet in taste and reduces inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. It benefits in following diseases related to the digestive system.
Ingredients: Yasthimadhu or Mulethi Extract
• The main beneficial effects of Mulethi (Yashtimadhu) are on the digestive system and respiratory systems. It helps in relieving gastric symptoms such as heartburn, burning sensation in the abdomen, peptic and duodenal ulcer, abdominal colic, GERD, and chronic gastritis.
• Mulethi acts as an antacid and reduces free and total HCL levels in the stomach. It decreases acidic irritation to peptic mucosa. It is effective in acute as well as chronic gastritis.
• Mulethi has anti-inflammatory effects and anti-ulcer properties. It decreases the inflammation of stomach linings. Various studies have shown its significant anti-ulcer and anti-inflammatory properties.
• It has protective effects against stomach ulcers. It reduces the chances of gastric ulceration induced by aspirin and other NSAIDs.
• In duodenal ulcers, deglycyrrhizinized licorice (Yashtimadhu) has ulcer healing properties. It corrects the gastric mucosa and reduces ulcerations.
• Mulethi extract has some flavonoids, which act as Anti-Helicobacter pylori. The flavonoids such as glabridin and glabrene found in Yashtimadhu have inhibitory effects against H. pylori. Therefore, Yashtimadhu can be used against H. pylori infection and peptic ulcers caused due to H. pylori.
• Mulethi can provide 50 to 75% relief from Aphthous ulcers within one day and complete remission of ulcers within three days. Canker sores are a common type of mouth ulcer characterized by pain and tenderness. These are white or yellow in appearance surrounded by a red areas. Yashtimadhu water or tea reduces the pain and tenderness. Its gargle is also effective in reducing the size of canker sores.
• Mulethi contains a Glabridin compound, which reduces colonic inflammation. It can speed up the healing process in inflamed mucosa and prevent ulceration of mucosa of the intestines.
• Mulethi can help in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. It reduces elevated liver enzymes.
• Mulethi is therapeutically helpful in sore throat, throat irritation, cough, and bronchitis. Yashtimadhu has expectorant properties. It also eases in coughing up the thick yellow sputum accumulated in the lungs. Due to its antibacterial properties, it also reduces infection of the upper respiratory tract. It reduces throat irritation and helps in chronic cough.
• Mulethi attenuates the inflammation of bronchi and soothes the respiratory tract, thus it helps in bronchitis. Due to its anti-inflammatory effects, it is effective in many inflammatory diseases including bronchitis and arthritis. It can also be beneficial in allergic asthma, according to studies.
• Mulethi has the potency to reduce serum cholesterol levels and hepatic cholesterol. The possible action of Yashtimadhu might be associated with the conversion of cholesterol into bile.
• Mulethi root or mulethi has anti-atherosclerotic characteristics. The effects can be due to the reduction of serum cholesterol and plaque formation in the blood vessels. Another antioxidant property can also potentiate its effects in preventing cardiovascular diseases.
• Mulethi is known for its effects on the adrenal gland. It improves the adrenal gland's functions. It can be helpful in people who take steroid drugs because steroids suppress important adrenal gland functions and result in adrenal insufficiency. It assists the adrenal gland to recover its natural functions and stimulates adrenal hormones.
• Chinese licorice roots contain a compound named LICOCHALCONE. It inhibits the falciparum strain and its effects are similar to chloroquine. The studies have concluded that a newly isolated licorice compound has potent anti-malarial properties.
• LICOCHALCONE found in Chinese licorice roots has inhibitory effects against mycobacterial species. However, further studies are required to investigate the results of licorice in tuberculosis, although it can help in bacterial lung infections.
• Mulethi contains some flavonoids, which reduce abdominal fat accumulation. The research suggests that it also has hypoglycemic effects, so mulethi can benefit from diabetes too.
• Mulethi is also used in prostate hypertrophy and prostate cancer.
• Studies suggest that Mulethi can decrease the severity and frequency of hot flashes during menopause.
• Mulethi can help patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. This action might be due to strengthening and antioxidant activities.
HOW TO USE: Take 1 tablet twice daily, 30 minutes before a meal, or as directed by experts.